Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Hijab...degrading or an honour for women?




This is something which is discussed time and time and time again... Muslim women... are they oppressed? Do they wear the hijab, the veil because their fathers or their husbands made them? I myself chose to start wearing the hijab with out any encouragment, force from my father and at the time I was not even married so there was no husband to force me into doing so. It was something I had decided to do myself after learning more about my religion and how the hijab rather than being a sign of oppression is actually a symbol of dignity, honour and suprising for some is actually a true sense of freedom!Before wearing hijab and im sure others can sympathise with me here I would cringe and hesitate if I was passing by a building site with builders in progress especially if I was on my way to visit friends therefore dressed up slightly. Id feel like a piece of meat while walking past hearing the filth coming out of their mouths... they did not like me as a person, they did not respect me for who I was they were just disgusting perveted men who thought they had the freedom to gape and stare shouting out filthy comments at the cost of mine and other womens feelings, feedom and honour. I remember when the real sense of freedom came to me and I truly understood what it meant. While I was at uni I sometimes used to walk to the station at the same time every day. Like most other students Id be in my jeans and a nice top at the time I would spend time in the mornings doing my make up fixing my hair etc...Every morning while I was walking to the station at a particular point the same mini bus would drive past carrying disabled people...and although the passengers were innocent unfortunately the driver certainly was not. Every day he would slow down as he passed and would shout out things Id rather not remember. I remember every day trying to hurry so as to miss him on the road but would fail and Id cringe every time he drove past. Anyways some time past and uni had finished and I had started to wear the hijab alhamdulillah. One morning I was up early and off somewhere so again I was walking to the station and low and behold I saw the same mini bus with the same driver coming down the road... my heart started to thump and I started to cringe thinking 'oh no I really dont want to hear his uncomfortable comments'... however he simply drove past not slowing down, not shouting any comments! What had happened? ... take a guess... yes the Hijab had happened and suddenly I felt the real sense of freedom, I felt a huge sense of relief and dignity I felt honoured to be a Muslim woman protected by this simple piece of cloth alhamdulillah! I will never forget that day and when ever I hear people say... Hijab is a sign of oppression, Muslim women are oppressed I remember that day and think... if only you knew its so the opposite... as hijab is the true sense of liberation, freedom and honour for women Allahu Akbar!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assalaamu alaikum.

I loved your story masha'Allah.
I love wearing hijab, although it's not always easy.
My father always says to me, that if I don't want people to notice or look inappropriately at me I should just dress "normally", i.e. jeans and a t-shirt. I can't disagree with him, as people stare and shout insults at me all the time, but at the end of the day I cover to gain the pleasure of Allah, and not to be accepted by this society, which no longer accepts me because of the way I choose to dress.
Keep blogging X.

humblemuslimah said...

To me wearing hijab is an essential part of me .It gives me freedom , I would certainly feel naked if I did not wear it and as their is no compulsion in religion it came from me.

Edward Ott said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful essay.

Salam

Umm Yaqub Bilal said...

Salaams all! Anonymous insha'Allah you stay strong although you may not be fully accepted in this scoiety by everyone insha'Allah there will be those who do accept you... no one no matter who they are are fully accpeted by everyone thats why we should not focus on pleasing people rather we should concentrate on pleasing Allah... people are too picky, fussy, prejudice, unjust and ignorant where as Allah is perfect!
Humblemuslimah yeah I agree with you I would feel totally naked without my hijab and alhamdulillah you also decided to wear it Allah keep you strong ameen!
Edward jazaka'Allahu khayr for your comments not sure how you found my blog but as im fairly new to blogging its so encouraging to get random comments and words of encouragment feel free to comment and leave suggestions!

Resep Makanan Nusantara said...

Terimakasih sudah memberikan informasi ini, semoga informasi yang dibagikan ini bermanfaat bagi yang lainnya dan menjadi pahala buat penulisnya. Hijabpashminaku.com