Thursday, September 27, 2007

Being Closed Minded Is Like A Foreign Language!

Being closed minded is like a foreign language... hmmm what a strange phrase yet it is very true and let me explain how!

On Tuesday I was taking Yaqub to the baby clinic and when I came outside my house my neighbours elderly aunty was standing there with our neighbours 1 year old son! Our neighbours are from Mauritious and I know that their aunty only speaks creo or so I thought! Each time I have seen her I have only ever said Salam as I thought there was no other way to talk to her! So on Tuesday I was leaving to go to the clinic when I stopped to go and see the neighbours son Jamal! I was bending down talking to him when the aunty started talking to me and of course I did not understand what she was saying as it was a foreign language and so although I could hear her I could not understand her! Then after she had finished and I was about to walk away I realised I had caught the last 2 words and then realised hang on a minute I understood that and then realised she was speaking Urdu not creo!!! I had thought she only spoke creo so had mentally told myself that I could not understand what she was saying where as in actual fact she was speaking Urdu which I do understand!

Now you may wonder how this relates to be closed minded! Well its very simple! When we are closed minded we can not allow ourselves to see the views of others even though in actual facts we may understand and agree with their views and ideas but we do not allow ourselves to do so! By being closed minded we have convinced ourselves that I can not understand any other way just like one might believe they can not understand someone speaking a foreign language!!!

This idea can be linked to Islam! It is so so so sad to see 1 Islam, 1 Quran, 1 Sunnah Billions of Muslims and so many divisions!!! Islam is so complete that it has room for all subhana'Allah! And if only we all stopped (by we I mean all the groups within Islam) and listened to each other we may find that we are not so different after all we are one brotherhood one sisterhood One Ummah!

The same can be linked to Islam, Judaism and Christianity... if we only stopped being so closed minded and opened up to each other we would see the similarities we have and we could work on that and go forward!

I am currently reading The Road To Makkah by Muhammad Asad and he begins by telling a friend of his that perhaps one of the reasons why the West has so much against Islam is the fact that it shares so many morals with it! A very intesresting point... I remember a very good friend of mine who is a convert/revert to Islam saying that her father had said to her.... 'I agree with the morals and teachings of Islam but when you put the name Islam on it I dont want to know'! Why are we so afraid to open our minds and see what is around us!

So the lesson to be learnt here is to open up our minds ask Allah to always guide us and look for the truth where ever it may be! Dont be closed minded and see everything around you as a foreign language!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very very true. We should open our minds far more instead of keeping them closed. Unfortunately their are too many muslims and others with a closed mind .