Tuesday, July 18, 2006

ANY GOOD NEWS???




The dreaded question... 'Soooo Any Good News?' Now some of you are probably thinking errrm ok whats the problem has she finally lost the plot? And Im sure others who are married are thinking 'Ahaa I know what she is talking about'.
Before getting married the dreaded question was ...'Soooo are you considering anyone or getting married???' Im sure we have all been through that and if not then all I can say is your very lucky!
Anyways I recently got married 3 months ago and by the Grace and Mercy of God am very happy! I wrongly thought 'Yesssss now no more awkward questions' WRONG!!!!!!!
It seems that the new dreaded question post marriage is now 'Sooooo Any Good News?' This of course is quite commonly accompanied by a meaningful stare at your tummy and occasionally with a quick prod at the tummy to see if your concealing anything!

Family asking is cool they are looking forward to a new nephew/niece/granchild/cousin etc but I dont know its still slightly embarassing!
When close friends ask its also not too bad but personally Id prefer not to be asked and rather for people to wait to be told. The worst thing is though when people you dont really know come and ask... I work in a bookshop and now it seems that since getting married its licenced people friends, customers some who I know well some who I hardly know to openly come up to me and pose the dreaded question either that or im just getting fat lol so people cant help but wonder!
I could be wrong but Im sure thats its quite well known that when people are actually expecting a little bundle of joy they dont actually like to broadcast it for a good few months I think at least 2-3 months and when they are good and ready to let people know they will themselves offer the good news!
Prematurly asking puts them in a difficult situation as if they are expecting and they dont want to tell you yet they cant exactly lie and say no! But at the same time they dont want to tell you either so people plssssssssssssss have more consideration for your friends and random people you dont really know and dont ask rather wait to be told!
Now some of you are thinking 'okkkk shes lost the plot and is letting off steam' ... to that I say...'Phewww Yes I think I am letting of steam lol' and the final trigger for this was the other day in the bookshop when a customer who I hardly know at all bounced in and leant over the counter peering hard at my stomach with hand reached out and finger ready for a good old poke said ...'SOOOOOO any good news?' Now what I would have liked to have said was 'Errrrm nope not yet BUT if there was and I actually wanted you to know about it I think you would have known about it dont you think?' But that would be rude so instead I politely said 'no'.
I know people just want the best for you and are excited for you but pleaseeeee just be patient and wait to be told rather than ask!
Now for those of you who actually know me incase your wondering and want to ask but are now too scared to ask the answer truthfully and honestly is... 'No im not but please keep me in your prayers and if and when I am ill let you know myself when im good and ready but at this moment in time honestly nope there is no good news'!
Phew!!!! Im done! Any comments welcome!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well yes that is rude,but your right people are strange and I dont think they mean to be nosy or rude.I miss you so much,good to hear your still at the bookshop and still not replying,it's fine I like talking to myself,looks like your too popular nowadays to let me know if all is fine,this webpage thing is good now atleast I know your alive and well.Enjoy your day.Please send my love to all of the lovely people in your life.I love you very much and have a good night also....
Eleen

Umm Yaqub Bilal said...

ELeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!! How are you??? I miss you so much toooo! I was just thinking of sending you a lonnggg email now!! Yes I have not replied but thats because I wanted to send a proper reply! Yes I know a lame excuse! I miss you man come back to London! DO you have the same mumber email it to me! Are you online?

Umm Yaqub Bilal said...

By the way no offence meant to anyone at all so please forgive me if I offend anyone in this post!
Sowwieee!

humblemuslimah said...

mashaallah tha is one of the most common questions if not the most common question of them all. I was only thinking of asking you abou eleen the other day and I forgot ao howa re you eleen

Anonymous said...

You know Umba, i'm trying to remember if i've asked you about this, I cant remember poking you though I wouldn't put it past myself, but yeah your right cos even if someone is preggers they don't tell relatives until after 2-3 months! But thats life isn't it, full of awkward people and awkward questions, but oh so wonderful at the same time Alhamdulillah!

Umm Yaqub Bilal said...

Worry not my sweet sis Waranga for twas not you who attempted to poke me lol as if it was you know me I would have poked you back lol! Yes I totally agree it is sooo wonderful at the same time... thinking about it on a deeper level imagine if when you did tell people they were not surprised or not happy at all as in emotionless then again id be complaining lol! So alhamdulillah for everything Alhamdulillah alaa Qulii haal!